KFC coming to St Austell
FRIED chicken fans in St Austell finally tasted victory last week after it was announced that KFC will be opening its first restaurant in the town.
Despite previous failed attempts to open a drive-through in St Austell, the fast food giant was given the go-ahead last Tuesday to set up a takeaway in the current Pizza Hut building on Pentewan Road.
Amsric Foods (Cornwall) Ltd, who have been a KFC franchisee for more than 20 years and already operate three branches in Cornwall, put forward an application for the change of use for the building in April.
A spokesman from the chain said around 40 jobs would now be created in the town with the opening of the outlet.
Adverts looking for staff for a KFC in St Austell were posted online at the beginning of September.
Members of an internet campaign, which has seen nearly 400 fans sign up to the page ‘KFC should go in St Austell’ on the social networking site Facebook, were celebrating the ‘finger lickin’ good’ news after years of campaigning for a franchise in the town.
A previous application for a KFC in Holmbush in 2009 was fought by residents who raised concerns about traffic, parking, litter, noise and the smell emitted from the restaurant, and refused by Cornwall Council in 2010. The subsequent appeal was also dismissed.
The plans had attracted a lot of interest from residents and fans alike with fears about the smell, litter and a rise in crime being highlighted once again.
But in May, St Austell Town Council showed their support for the takeaway with councillor Valerie Bradfield telling her fellow members: "People want it in the town and that place is as good as any. I can't think of anywhere better — it's all there."
The application was approved by Cornwall Council with around eight conditions in place which state that a CCTV system must be installed at the takeaway to monitor the car park and restaurant to prevent crime and fear of crime.
This will be the fourth outlet in the county, with Falmouth, Newquay and Penzance already having the fast food chain, and it will be open from 6am to 11pm seven days a week.
KFC, whose headquarters are in Louisville, Kentucky, is the world’s biggest chain of quick service restaurants.
A spokesman from KFC told the Voice: “We can confirm that planning permission has been granted to open a new restaurant in St Austell, although at this early stage there's no set date for opening.
“The restaurant will create around 40 career opportunities and we look forward to becoming part of the community and welcoming local residents to the restaurant.”
Town council clerk, David Pooley, said: “It is really good that companies such as KFC are keen to come to St Austell and I am sure that this restaurant will be very popular with the younger people in our town.
“The town council at the time of considering this application were concerned about possible traffic and litter implications and we hope that Cornwall Council has taken our concerns into consideration in the final approval.”
- 10th October 2012 21:13
- yippeeeeeeeee glads that its finally got the go ahead .st austell needs something different from chip shops and pizza places i cant wait for the opening date bring it on
- 11th October 2012 15:38
- So the people that like Pizza hut get screwed over? For a council trying it´s best to get people into the wasteland that is St Austell town centre, they seem to miss the fact that if they were to put a fast foodplace in one of the many empty shops, that it would bring people in. The whole either or thing that they have going is only going to see more gridlock on that roundabout, still minimal parking and nobody going to visit the tacky shops in the street
- 16th November 2012 14:25
- I LOVE CHICKEN
- 14th December 2012 19:40
- I love fried chicken more then mark.
- 1st February 2013 17:32
- Kfc comin to us is a dream come true I can´t stop eatin it I´m addicted to fast food
I´m in heaven
Thank you god
- 1st February 2013 18:07
- I love me some chicken I like to lick the grease off the bones I can´t wait for it to come il be down there every day getting my barging bucket I don´t care about getting even after it will be worth it ! And would just like to say hi to all the lads at work love you big mike (mike bale)
- 3rd February 2013 13:45
- It was already announced that pizza hut was making no money. Good Riddens to it! You want chippys, look around, theres loads. You want pizza, go Dominoes, you want maccy´s, you know where it is, you want chicken, its a new thing for St Austell!
- 3rd February 2013 21:00
- SBAND IS DYING HE HAS CANCER ,AND THE ONLY MEAL HE FANCIES EATING IS KFC.SO HURRY UP AND OPEN/
- 7th February 2013 09:40
- Fried chicken is da bomb.
It´s my absolute passion.
I live for fried chicken.
Peace and long life, bros.
- 25th February 2013 14:24
- Why would having a KFC increase the risk of crime, what is wrong with people in St Austell. SOunds to me like the only people who object to this are too old to get out and get a life. KFC bring it on!!!!
- 5th March 2013 20:28
- MAY THE CHICKEN BE WITH YOU.
All hail The Colonel,may the Spice be with Him.
KFC Army rise up and prepare to do battle with the dark forces of evil,burger king,macdonalds,smite them a blow when their god,Profit,is thrown down,raise the SANDERS Banner and go forth into battle.
Opening the NEW KFC in ST AUSTELL TOMORROW,next door to mac,hee hee watch the exodus to proper food.
- 6th March 2013 15:02
- I love fried chicken because I have a big head
- 7th March 2013 14:44
- im coming kfc tonight
i love chicken
- 5th December 2013 13:17
- I am hoops and i like chicken #BlazeylovesChicken
- 1st May 2014 14:23
- I love fried chicken my mummy says its really really bad for me but I dont care because I love the crispy juicy stuff and im a bad boy