Action over mine under play area
A PLAN of action will be drawn up next week to make a St Austell play park safe after a mineshaft was found underneath it.
Sandy Hill Park has been deemed not fit for purpose after a mineshaft was discovered underneath it at the end of last year.
Half of the park has now been declared a no go area and a section has already been fenced off over fears for safety.
The Voice revealed how during the legal negotiations for the transfer of Sandy Hill Park from Cornwall Council to St Austell Town Council back in November as part of the devolution package it came to light that there were two old mine shafts within the park by the goal posts that needed further investigation.
Specialist investigations were requested by town council clerk, David Pooley, to ensure the old mine working were safe and involved exploratory drilling of the site in December.
A section of the park was also fenced off for residents’ safety.
Following the second set of exploratory drilling works at Sandy Hill Park, mining experts advised the town council that there is a further mine working roughly half way down the park which will also need to be fenced off.
On Monday St Austell Town Council are set to discuss how they will go about securing the next section of the park.
St Austell town council deputy clerk, Sara Gwilliams, said: “The report about the current state of the park will be made public.
“The drilling company has advised the town council to fence off half of the park. Members will be discussing where we will be fencing the area off.”
Mrs Gwilliams said it was not thought the mineshaft would have an impact on Friends of Sandy Hill’s plans to create a natural play area.
Around three years ago the group revealed their ambition to create St Austell’s first natural play park at Sandy Hill.
Mrs Gwilliams said: “It is a Cornwall Council led project using S106 money. Cornwall Council will need to make a decision on whether they will need to change their designs or plans in light of the mine shaft and fencing off of the park.
“It looks like it will be safe enough to go head with that part of the park which is good news.”