St Austell Voice for News, Offers, Reader Comments. Every Wednesday Only 60p

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > General > Roche route confirmed as preferred A30 link

Roche route confirmed as preferred A30 link

By Natasha Swift 22nd March 2017

Roche route confirmed as preferred A30 link
ROCHE ROUTE: Preferred option for A30 link road

THE BALL has been set rolling for a new link road between St Austell and the A30 after cabinet members decided to give the plans their backing.

Roche now looks set to be chosen as the option for the multi million pound project aimed at improving employment, housing and regeneration in the area.  

Cornwall Council is proposing to create the 6.2km link road to the west of Roche as it said poor connectivity was causing a major block to economic growth in St Austell.

On Thursday members of Cornwall Council’s cabinet gave their support to the proposals which will cost around £84.8m and see the new link road start at Singlerose Roundabout to the south of Stenalees, by-passing the west of Roche to link to the A30 via the Victoria junction.

In 2015 the Government announced its support for a route being created between the A30 and St Austell and the Department for Transport confirmed it would give £1.5m to develop a business case for the link road improvement.

Cornwall Council then began work on reviewing a number of road options.

From a list of eight potential road options, one east of Bugle and the other west of Roche were identified as the two preferred routes.

Last month Cornwall Council’s Transport Advisory Policy Committee approved the recommended Roche option.

A report to the cabinet, explained: “There has been a long held aspiration by Cornwall Council to create a strategic link road between St Austell and the A30 as St Austell is Cornwall’s largest town and is not currently served by a high quality route from the A30.

“The current route is the A391, which is of variable standard and passes through a number of villages between St Austell and the A30.”

The council had pushed for a new link road from the A30 at Innis Downs to St Austell in the early 1990s but this failed.

The scheme was revived in 2003 when extensive design work, site investigations and public consultation was carried out and the preferred route was identified as to the east of Bugle.
But the scheme did not attract funding at that time.

In March last year the council’s cabinet decided to proceed with developing a business case for the road for consideration by the Government after it was granted funding to push ahead.
The council hopes the new road will make St Austell a more attractive place for businesses to invest and create jobs as well as addressing congestion concerns.

It said the road would also support housing growth including the delivery of the West Carclaze Garden Village eco-community and also ease traffic issues in Roche and Bugle.

A number of possible routes for the new link road were explored and whittled down to Bugle and Roche.

The two Bugle options were estimated to cost around £163.8m and £145.4m while the Roche link road will cost in the region of £84.8m.

Now the cabinet has formally approved the recommendation the outline business case with the Roche option will be submitted to the Department of Transport (DfT) at the end of March.

Welcoming the news, MP for St Austell and Newquay, Steve Double, said: “It is good to see Cornwall Council have backed the plans for this vital road, which once built will provide a direct route from the A30 to St Austell and the surrounding area, while taking traffic away from Roche, Bugle and Stenalees.

“I am pleased that this Government has been the one that has finally got these plans off the ground and have worked closely with colleagues both locally and in Westminster to promote and push this scheme as it moves towards being realised.

“I will continue to do all I can to get this road built.”

By Natasha Swift 22nd March 2017

Sandra Badman 24th March 2017 07:51
If they go ahead with this then they will need to upgrade the castle-an-Dinas road as it is already a rat run with way to face traffic. Very dangerous
Martin 24th March 2017 16:23
Let´s hope it´s a dual carriageway.
Add your own comment
Name
Email
Comments


Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page