St Austell Voice for News, Offers, Reader Comments. Every Wednesday Only 60p

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > General > Lifeboat saves exhausted kayaker

Lifeboat saves exhausted kayaker

By 12th April 2017

Lifeboat saves exhausted kayaker

THE FOWEY lifeboat was launched at the weekend to rescue an exhaused capsized kayaker unable to climb back in.

Pagers sounded at 4.20pm on Saturday and the in-shore lifeboat was launched within five minutes to assist the capsized kayaker drifting towards rocks at Spit Beach.

An RNLI spokesman said: “Christian Philp, Allan Harris and Cally Pritchard took the D-Class Olive Two round Gribbin Head at 23 knots, taking 10 minutes from leaving the harbour mouth.

“Although sunny and calm in the harbour, the sea state was lumpy with an easterly chop making finding the casualty potentially difficult.  

“However, two walkers on the cliff were able to wave to the lifeboat volunteers, signalling towards the kayaker below them. The kayaker’s sister, who had been out kayaking as well and who had been unable to get her brother out of the water, had gone to the beach to raise the alarm  She was then was signalling towards her brother from a nearby beach, so this made finding him so very much easier.

“The casualty was picked out of the water 100 yards from the shore, wrapped in two survival bags with a balaclava and taken to Par Docks where they met the paramedic.  The kayaker was assessed and transferred to an ambulance.  He was very, very cold, shaking and exhausted.

“The lifeboat crew members were very concerned because he had been in the water about 25 minutes at only 12 degrees. The RNLI volunteers and the ambulance paramedics suggest that for this time of year, even though the sun is shining, people should be aware that the water is almost at its coldest for the year and wetsuits should be worn.”

The lifeboat was returned to Fowey and made ready for service by 6pm.

By 12th April 2017

Add your own comment

Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page