St Austell Voice for News, Offers, Reader Comments. Every Wednesday Only 60p

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > Sport > Late goal saves a point for Lillywhites

Late goal saves a point for Lillywhites

By Gareth Rowett 15th March 2017

Late goal saves a point for Lillywhites
HEADS UP: St Austell´s Olly Brokenshire rises highest in a crowded penalty area

HARRY Evans’ late goal earned St Austell a deserved point, in their 2-2 draw against fierce rivals Bodmin Town, in front of a crowd of over 350.

As ever it was a blood and guts meeting between the two sides and Evans’ goal, a minute from time denied 10-man Bodmin the victory.

In the fourth meeting the two sides this season, there has still not been a winner at 90 minutes and as ever it was a closely run thing.

Both sides had chances early on, Bodmin’s Jordan Pearce having an effort cleared off the line, while their physical prowess was again shown when Phil Bromhead had a header saved by Jason Chapman.

Mark Goldsworthy probably should have opened the scoring at the other end but his shot was blocked at the vital moment after being teed up by strike partner Liam Eddy.

Eddy then had two great chances himself, once dragging an effort narrowly wide of the post, before having another shot which went through the hands of Bodmin ‘keeper Kyle Moore and behind for a corner.

The visitors opened the scoring just after the half hour when St Austell failed to clear after good work from Dan Sullivan and when the half-clearance fell at the feet at Exeter City youngster Ben Seymour, the diminutive striker on work experience at Bodmin, slammed home the game’s opening goal.

St Austell were not put off after falling behind and they were back on level terms, seven minutes before the break. Liam Eddy raced clear when Jake Ash tried to play the offside trap, but Jon Harris’ flag stayed down and Eddy shot past the advancing Moore and bring St Austell back on level terms.

Bodmin were back in front through a minute later as the talented Sullivan scored his fourth long-ranger against the Lillywhites this season when he picked up a loose ball 25 yards from goal before unleashing a dipping drive, past Chapman in the St Austell goal.

St Austell had a strong penalty appeal just before the break, but referee Oliver Green waved away their protests when they felt that there had been a handball in the box.

Bodmin had goalkeeper Moore to thank as the mist descended again on Poltair Park as he saved well from former Bodmin winger Neil Slateford.

Bodmin’s hopes of holding on to their lead were served up a blow when Pearce was shown a straight red card on the hour after a foul on Eddy.

Referee Mr Green was coming under fierce criticism from both sides and with Bodmin trying to hold on St Austell hit a late 89th-minute leveller to salvage a share of the spoils.

It was top scorer Harry Evans who scored his fifth goal against Bodmin this season, pouncing to score late on and earn St Austell a deserved point against their biggest of rivals.

St Austell return to action with some Friday night football against Plymouth Parkway, kick-off will be at 7.30pm at Poltair Park.

By Gareth Rowett 15th March 2017

Add your own comment

Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page