St Austell Voice - Online and every Wednesday Only £1

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > General > Star-studded Eden Sessions left in the balance because of covid

Star-studded Eden Sessions left in the balance because of covid

By Natasha Swift 3rd February 2021

Star-studded Eden Sessions left in the balance because of covid
So far six acts have been confirmed to play at this year’s Eden Sessions, including Bryan Adams, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, My Chemical Romance, IDLES, and The Script

Ticket holders will be the first to know if the Eden Sessions 2021 will be cancelled, organisers have confirmed. After the cancellation of this year's Glastonbury festival cast doubt on whether 2021’s festival season will go ahead, the Eden Project has not yet revealed whether it will take a similar course of action.

So far six acts have been confirmed to play at this year’s sessions, including Bryan Adams, Diana Ross, Lionel Richie, My Chemical Romance, IDLES and The Script

The Lionel Richie concert is due to take place on June 9, My Chemical Romance on June 15, Diana Ross on June 29, Bryan Adams on July 5 and The Script are set to perform on July 14.

Asked by the Voice whether the 2021 sessions will happen this summer, a spokesman from Eden said: “Thank you for your enquiry regarding the Eden Sessions 2021. We are continuing to monitor Government guidelines regarding Covid-19 and events. Ticket holders will be contacted directly if there are any changes to the schedule.”

Uncertainty was thrown on the UK festival season after the organisers of Glastonbury Festival announced that they had called off this year’s event.

A statement said: “With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. “In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.

“As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticket in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022. We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022.

“We thank you for your incredible continued support and let’s look forward to better times ahead.”

Eden announced in April last year that it was pulling the plug on its series of concerts for 2020 due to the coronavirus outbreak. Organisers called off the sessions after “closely assessing” the impacts of the global coronavirus pandemic.

They said they had decided the event could not go ahead in 2020 to ensure the safety and wellbeing of concertgoers, artists, crews, Eden Sessions staff and supporting teams.

US rockers My Chemical Romance would have been the first act to play the Sessions with their show selling out. Global superstar and Eden Sessions veteran Lionel Richie was due to return to the venue to play in June. After Liam headlined the Eden Sessions last summer, his brother was also due to play in June with his acclaimed band Noel Gallagher’s High Flying Band.

And Irish alt-pop trio The Script were lined up to do a set in July, with one of the most successful recording artists and entertainers of all time, Diana Ross, bring the sessions to a close with her headline show also in July.

The Eden Project currently remains closed to visitors after the site was hit by landslides and ‘significant’ flooding just before Christmas. Eden was closed early on Sunday, December 20 as a safety precaution after high volumes of rainwater caused three landslips on the side of the former quarry and damaged the road above it.

Fire fighters were mobilised to the site on December 20 just before 8.45am after a call from Eden asking for assistance to pump a large amount of flood water.

A spokesman from Eden told the Voice last week: “The Eden Project is to remain closed to visitors until further notice. “Work is continuing on the site of the former quarry to repair damage caused by flooding and three landslips which led to Eden closing to visitors as a safety precaution on December 20, 2020.”

It is not the start to the year that Eden, which axed 169 workers in September, will have wanted after a difficult 2020. In July Eden announced that nearly half of its workforce was in line for the chop after losing more than £7m due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Eden’s Biomes were closed for more than three months during national lockdown.

By Natasha Swift 3rd February 2021

Add your own comment
Name
Email
Comments


Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page