St Austell Voice - Online and every Wednesday Only £1

Sell for Free in the Voice

It's free to sell your unused items in the Voice. No fees, no commission.

Place Your Free Ad

Buy your favourite pictures

Ordering high quality prints or digital copies is quick and simple.

More information

News Archive > Sport > Ten-man Blazey cause Vase shock with stunning victory

Ten-man Blazey cause Vase shock with stunning victory

By Gareth Davies 14th October 2020

Ten-man Blazey cause Vase shock with stunning victory
Inspirational midfielder Jake Miller fires home St Blazey’s second goal in their FA Vase win over Brislington

St Blazey are through to the first round proper of the FA Vase after a brilliant 3-0 home victory over Brislington. The Green and Blacks did it the hard way though, as they were forced to play for 61 minutes with ten-men after defender Sam Cooper was sent-off for two bookings.

Despite the man disadvantage, Blazey took the lead on the stroke of half-time through Jordan Walton’s low free-kick.

The second-half saw Brislington, a Western League Premier Division side, from one rung up the non-league pyramid, threaten a comeback.

However, Blazey, roared on by a bumper crowd in excess of 200, held firm and late goals from inspirational midfielder Jake Miller and substitute Dan Perryman, saw Blazey through to the next round where they will face Helston Athletic at Blaise Park.

Matt Hayden and Shaun Vincent’s side came into the match on the back of an impressive recent streak of league performances, which included seven points from a possible nine in their previous three matches.

After a credible 1-1 draw against Bodmin in Blazey’s last home match a fortnight ago, the Blaise Park outfit then thrashed struggling Godolphin 7-0 last Saturday, before defeating local rivals Sticker 4-0 three days later.

For Brislington, meanwhile, they had suffered defeat in each of their last three league matches and after a bright start, the Bristolians find themselves languishing in the lower echelons of the Western Premier standings.

Blazey made two changes from the side which eased Sticker aside as stand-in striker Levi Landricombe was replaced by Callum Kenny.

The former St Dennis and Foxhole hit-man missed the Burngullow Park clash through injury. The second change for Blazey came between the sticks as Jordan Duffey came back into the starting line-up with Brodie Cole dropping down to the bench.

The home side started the match well with Elliott Rendle having the first sight at goal with his on target effort deflected wide for a corner.

Kenny couldn’t generate enough power in his header from the subsequent flag-kick to trouble visiting custodian and captain George Dorrington before tempers flared up on 23 minutes.

A dreadful two-footed lunge by Brislington midfielder Harry Tobin on Lewis Phillips saw referee Neil Lane loss control temporarily. Both teams then engaged in a spot of handbags, with both dugouts jostling verbally also.

Lane, who was fussy at times, much to annoyance of the home side, only produced yellow although six minutes later, his red-card did see the light of day.

Cooper, who had already been booked, crudely upended Brislington striker Neiken Plummer and Lane reached for his top pocket. It was the correct call but Blazey didn’t dwell on the disappointment of being forced to play a man light and instead, rolled their sleeves up and delivered a performance full of grit and determination.

The opening goal from Walton owed as much to Elliott Rendle’s mazy run as the home full-back’s fine freekick. This goal, right on the stroke of half-time, seemed to lift Blazey spirits further and from that point onwards, they dominated the match.

Brislington rarely came close to gaining a foothold in proceedings again with two goal mouth scrambles, as the follow-ups were hit wide, the closet they came. In fact, as the game wore on, Blazey’s superior fitness came to the fore and they finished the match looking like they would indeed hold on.

With home nerves fraying somewhat, Miller crashed home just inside the box for 2- 0 after 85 minutes. Ninety seconds later, Walton broke free and fed Perryman with the  replacement finishing well to crown arguably Blazey’s finest hour for many years.

St Blazey: Duffey, Rendle, Walton, Phillips, Powell, Cooper, Miller, Willmott (Vincent, 85), Alexander, Kenny (Edwards, 58), Tribble (Perryman, 67). Subs not used: Bell Cole (g/k).

Brislington: Dorrington, Appleton, Dunn (Frear, 65), Bernard (Brown, 52), McCormack, Nuevo-Draper, Best, Tobin, Plummer (Dagger, 60) Simpson, Nielsen. Sub not used: Greenslade.

Referee: Neil Lane

Attendance: 203

By Gareth Davies 14th October 2020

Add your own comment

Spam Test
Captcha Spam Test

Please enter the text from the image

Top of Page