Saints move up to third

Saints move up to third

St Austell defeated St Just by 52 runs at Wheal Eliza Photo Colin Bradbury

By Gareth Davies

23rd June 2021

St Austell moved up to third place in the Premier division standings after a thoroughly deserved 52-run win over St Just at Wheal Eliza.

Under cloudy skies, home skipper Gary Bone won the toss and opted to bat first as the home side were looking to back up their impressive thrashing of Grampound Road seven days previously.

For St Just, they were looking to bounce back from a first 50-over loss of 2021 when they were surprisingly beaten by 23 runs at the hands of Camborne.

Visiting pace duo Ben Ellis and Ben Stevens bowled a decent line and length early on as Saints’ two openers Hugh Parkinson and Michael Bone struggled to get going. However, once they were fully acclimatised to conditions in the middle, the pair found their touch.

Michael Bone really put his foot to the floor with two successive boundaries off Stevens in the 10th over. St Just skipper Gareth May then brought himself into the attack with Michael Bone dispatching his first three balls to the boundary. The dose was repeated in May’s second over by Michael Bone as Saints passed 50 without loss.

The momentum slowed when May withdrew himself from the attack, but St Austell continued to move the scoreboard on nicely as Michael Bone passed 50 and they had reached 99 after 25 overs.

The stoppage seemed to do the trick for St Just as the very first ball after the resumption, Michael Bone chipped the ball to Ben Ellis to hand Matthew Ellis the first visiting wicket.

This brought Alex Bone to the crease and the Cornish county batsman only added six before he was needlessly run out after a mix-up with Parkinson. St Just, with their tails up, then took a third wicket when Parkinson was clean bowled after he failed to pick a Ben Ellis full toss and the home side were 117-3.

The fall of three quick wickets failed to deter St Austell as Taylor Williams and Gary Bone looked to push the score past 150. Williams’ tidy 16 was ended when he became Matt Ellis’ second victim after a faint outside edge was successfully gathered by St Just wicket-keeper Steve Kevern.

The fall of Williams did stunt Saints’ progress as Matt Ellison perished for three before a brilliant direct hit from Tom Stephen accounted for David Munn (4).

Once again, though, Saints recovered well and a useful partnership of 32 from Gary Bone (47*) and Matt Lloyd (9*) saw the hosts finish on 199-5 from their 50 overs as Ben Ellis (1-32) was the pick of St
Just’s bowlers
The St Just reply got off to a terrible start when the first ball of the innings from Liam Watson saw Jordan Nicholls trapped plumb in front.

Chamikara Edirisinghe was the next man in and after playing one sumptuous cover drive, he was snared at slip by Williams as Adam Snowdon got in on the wicket taking act for St Austell.

St Just recovered somewhat thanks to Kevern and Neil Curnow and they guided the score past 50. Gary Bone’s spin variation then conjured up a third and third visiting wicket to fall in his first over.

Firstly Kevern (12) could only pick out Watson to fall from Gary Bone’s first ball and three balls later, Phil Nicholas, after scoring just one run, was caught behind by Alex Bone as 51-1 became 53-3. With rain becoming more and more of possibility and with one eye on Duckworth & Lewis calculations, Curnow went on the charge and he passed 50 with Max Harvey playing a supporting role at the other end.

Harvey would become the fifth wicket to fall when he edged Matt Lloyd to Michael Bone to slip and after the St Austell man clung on, St Just were back in trouble again at 88-5.

Whilst Curnow was at the crease, St Just still had a chance, but their task was made to look much sterner when he was dismissed by Lloyd for 59.

St Austell were firmly in the box seat shortly after when May was the next man to depart for just five with Watson taking his second catch of the afternoon.

The hosts were well into the tail when Munn’s spin accounted for Tom Stephan’s after a bright and breezy 16 when Williams took a fine catch at mid-off to leave St Just on the brink at 122-8.

Rain, which had fallen briefly during St Austell’s innings, with no need for a stoppage, then returned again although Saints were well in the box seat on Duckworth Lewis. Munn then grabbed his second wicket of the afternoon when he caught and bowled Matt Ellis for 7.

The innings was polished off by Curtis Dalby, who, after accounting for May earlier in the innings, pinned Stevens leg before for just four and Saints were victorious.