Sticker share six goals with St Piran rivals

Sticker share six goals with St Piran rivals

Sticker’s Joel Cockings looks evade a strong challenge from St Mawgan’s Sam West (right).

By Gareth Davies

12th May 2021

A late penalty conversion by St Mawgan player-boss Ashley Bicknell helped rescue a draw for his side at a wet and windy Burngullow Park on Saturday.

Knowing that they had to win to keep their slim hopes of qualification for the last eight of the St Piran league Cup alive, Sticker were looking to bounce back from their 9-0 home mauling at the hands of Polperro.

For St Mawgan, they had snuck past a stubborn St Dennis reserves outfit at Trevarrian the previous Tuesday and victory would have seen Bicknell’s men take a huge step towards securing their quarter-final berth.

Right from kick-off, the match was keenly contested with referee Sam Doble, who was being assessed by premier League official Simon Long, struggling to keep a lid on proceedings.

It took just under 15 minutes for the first chance of note from either side and it would lead to the first goal. A teasing left wing cross from stand-out home player Bailey Smith was headed home by striker Joel Cockings after he had wriggled free from his marker.

Falling behind stunned St Mawgan into action and they should have levelled but striker Craig Allen fired wide when well placed. If that was a warning for Sticker, it was one they didn’t heed as Sam West restored parity for Saints with a stunning leveller.

The mercurial winger, who was involved in several unsavoury verbal spats with home players during the first half, picked up the ball 25 yards out and he fired an unstoppable drive past home custodian Connor Clarke.

Now very much in the ascendancy, St Mawgan spurned presentable chances to take the lead when Louis Price headed over and Clarke did well to deny Allen with his legs after the visiting forward bore down on goal.

As the interval approached, Harry Phillips’ far post effort was palmed away by Saints’ gloveman Jordan Cole and at the other end, West was thwarted by Cooke.

The second period started in similar fashion to the first with neither side able to gain the upper hand. All that changed just shy of the hour mark when Smith’s teasing free-kick caught Cole back-peddling and the ball found the net.

This slightly fortunate second goal put Sticker in command and Jake Edmondson nearly added a third for the home side, with St Mawgan using their substitutes to good affect in an attempt to stay in the match.

Despite St Mawgan’s endeavours to try and force a second leveller, Sticker looked dangerous on the break and they grabbed a third when Phillips’ reverse pass was hammered home by Smith.

Twelve minutes from time, St Mawgan set up a grandstand finish when Harrie Tilston fired through a crowded penalty box and it was game on once more.

Sticker seemed likely to hold out until the dying embers when merry whistle blower Doble felt that Tilston had been upended in the box.

Bicknell, who entered the fray as a replacement in the second stanza, composed himself to leave Clarke flat-footed and roll the ball into the net.

That left the spoils shared which on the balance of play and chances created, was a fair result for both teams overall.